Monster v3 – LCD

September 16, 2012

Not a lot of progress in the last 13 months, but it is getting a little closer. I decided that I needed a larger TV, so I bought a 47″. This works great with the MAME artwork and leaves a big enough game screen in the middle of the screen. I also decided against a rotating screen. The screen on this TV is 24″ high, so I think that is plenty big for the games. I also added a super widescreen monitor to display the marquees of the games. When I first looked into doing this years ago, this monitor was $3000; obviously I waited. I just found a refurb for $150, so I bought it as quickly as possible. Here is the new version:
Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

August 4, 2011

This post and the following one were copied from my BYOAC project thread. After that, I will be writing directly here on the site.

Wow, it has been three years since I posted an update in this thread. Not too surprising since there really hasn’t been much done to the cab during that time. I still haven’t got any of the analog stuff mounted and working, but the cab has been played quite a bit off and on over that time. I started collecting dedicated games probably 3 years ago, and they take a lot of time that would have been spent on this project. At the beginning of this year, I decided that I was tired of fighting to display all of the games in their native resolution. I also want to show the bezel art around the game, so the logical solution for me was to use an LCD TV. I am pretty happy with the TV now, and I haven’t tried to add any of the scanline effects yet, but the blockiness of the sprites really doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would.

Here is a pic of the new test cab. Not a cab at all yet, but pretty close to how it will be laid out when I am done. The third pic is what I want it to resemble when I am done. I didn’t see the point in trying to shove a TV into a regular cab, and I really like the look of these Silver Strike cabs. As a bonus, I should be able to move the cab to the living room for parties and just plug it into the TV out there. I don’t really have a timeline set for getting this cab done, but at least now I can test exactly how I want everything setup. The original cab is in the process of becoming an NBA Hangtime. 🙂

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

August 13, 2011

I just cleaned up the shelving for the modular panels, so I figured I would take a pic. As you can see, a project like this can take up a lot of storage space. I am hoping to get some more panels made before too long. I have had some of these unmounted parts for years. There are more in the garage, but this is all I am bringing in tonight.
Photobucket

December 25, 2011

I have been putting this site together for the last couple of days, and I think I have all of the old info copied over now. Now I just need to get back to work on this so I have something to post. It probably won’t happen until at least January. I have some work to do out in the arcade that needs to get done first.

My U-HID didn’t flash properly a few months ago, so I had to send it to Ultimarc to have it reflashed. It is back now, so I am ready to get started on this when I get the time. Ultimarc sent it back really quickly, as usual.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s